Friday, May 1, 2015

Missouri Law Review Spotlight: Kristen Johnson



My name is Kristen Johnson. I graduated from the University of Missouri-Columbia with a B.A. in Spanish and political science. I am originally from Jefferson City, Missouri, and hope to practice as an attorney in that community in the future. After graduation, I will be clerking for Chief Justice Mary R. Russell at the Supreme Court of Missouri. 

For me, MU Law has been many things. It has been a goal I strived for through high school and college. It has been a lifestyle as I briefed, outlined, and studied my way through the last three years. It has been a stress factor as I prepared for exams and anxiously awaited my grades every semester. It has been a lesson in time management as I strove to balance family and school. And it has been a community that has supported me and lifted me up at every turn.

 Most of all, law school has been an incredible opportunity to grow both intellectually and professionally. The faculty at MU Law challenged us to think and act like lawyers and helped us develop the tools necessary for that task. I have had incredible opportunities through the law school that I could not have gotten elsewhere, including conducting a moot court argument before Missouri Supreme Court judges and appearing in court on behalf of real clients through the school’s family violence clinic. 

One such growing experience has been my membership with the Missouri Law Review. Working on the journal has fostered in me an attention to detail and has allowed me to stretch my wings as a legal writer. I know these skills will aid me throughout my legal career.
Law school has indeed been many things to me. 

But if I had to choose just one word to describe my experience at MU Law, that word would be: rewarding.